Friday, December 18, 2009

ARTIST SERIES: Happy Holidays, xo Taghrid Chaaban!



In the online realm of fashion, it’s impossible to talk clothes or blogs without mentioning California native and stylista TAGHRID JOYCE CHAABAN. Already bookmarked as an up-and-coming style icon by major publications like Teen Vogue and Glamour, it seems like this American Apparel stylist and photographer is on the fast track to fashion success. Read our chatters on suits by Karl, Repettos flats, and other fun stuff.


Hey there Taghrid! So nice to finally chitchat with you – how are you doing?

Nice to talk to you as well. It’s super nice and sunny in LA today, so I can’t complain.

Ah! Don’t make me miss home.

Where are you from?

Pasadena! It’s so heavenly there.

Yes! I’ve got really close friends who live there. Basically, I’m an all over LA girl. I know every part.

So you said you just came from a shoot…

Oh, I’m at work. I’m a photographer for American Apparel. I was shooting some stuff on a boy for the website.

How did this come about?

I was recruited by AA through my blog. First, I started styling for them. But now, I style and shoot along with a gazillion other little jobs.

What’s a typical day at AA’s factory like?

Well in our studio it’s pretty hectic, but super fun. I usually get in around 10 AM. I put together the outfits I will shoot for the day. Then, models come in and we try to do as much shots with them as possible. Usually there are meetings to go to after too.

Since we’re on the topic of AA… we love the pieces featured in the photos on your blog! What’s your all-time favorite piece?

That’s so hard!

I can imagine. I would drop dead if I ever worked at AA. Cause of death: clothes overload.

Well I love the disco shorts and pants! Oh, I really love the bodysuits too. But recently, I’ve been living in the crewneck sweaters.

Your fashion blog is great! Out of curiosity… do you follow blogs? Any bloggers you would recommend?

Thanks! Some of my favorites are Sea of Shoes, Style Bubble, and Jak & Jill. Park & Cube is really good too.

Ever met a fellow fashion blogger?

Yes! Just to name a few - Lucrecia of Fashion is Poison, Raych of That’s Chic, Rumi of Fashion Toast, and Krystal of What Is Reality Anyway. All super sweet girls!

Sounds like a fabulous fashion friendship! Any fashion legends you are still dying to meet?

Yes! It would be a dream to meet Karl Lagerfeld.

We know that one of your style idols is Jane Birkin, who once had a bag named and designed for her by fashion house, Hermes. If you could have a bag made for you, what would you have in mind?

Good question! I’m not sure who would make it, but it would be a nice medium sized bucket bag with gold chains and a shoulder strap.

Maybe AA can back you on this project – Bag by Taghrid!

I know right!

So T, Santa is feeling real giving right about now… what’s next on your must-have-it list?

Since I work on my feet all day, heels aren’t as practical as they used to be. So I’m trying to expand my cute flat shoes selection. There are a couple pairs of Repettos I have been eyeing. Also, I really want a vintage Chanel suit, something sea foam colored.

One blog follower that recommended MFBAFC to check out your fashion hot spot showed us this post you had about your darlin’ sister, tell us about the post and her (of course)!

My little sister Nour is my photographer. She’s only 15. She has a true talent when it comes to photography, even though she’s totally self-taught. She helps make me look good. She’s the better version of me. Sometimes, I’m jealous she’s so much cooler than I am!

Oh I can’t forget! I’m about to head out for a Christmas dinner party in Soho. Any advice T? I work real close by an AA store…

Fun! Ok, I think the disco shorts are the ultimate party pants. They’re really fun and flattering. I would say get a pair of those and pair them up with our mesh button-up shirt with either sparkly tights or sheer luxe shapes pantyhose (grid pattern). Finally, finish off the outfit with some nice simple heels or oxfords. You’re good to go!

Well, you heard T! Go have yourself a Merry Christmas with some American Apparel!

Want the “Taghrid-Approved” Christmas party outfit? Shop for it now at AA’s official online store.

Nylon Spandex Micro-Mesh Long Sleeve Button-Up, $45

The Disco Short, $46.

Sheer Luxe Pantyhose, $28.

Unisex Hartwick Skimmer Shoe, $97.

Check out Taghrid's blog here.


- ANNA LI

** Images courtesy of taghrid.cc

No comments:

Post a Comment